Our goal at Quik Check Emissions is to remove the hassle and worry of mandatory emissions tests and make them a quick and easy process for you. Emissions testing is required for vehicles that operate and commute in Bernalillo County. Local law states that vehicles manufactured after 1979 are required to complete an emissions test every two years and at change of ownership. Diesel and gas-electric hybrid vehicles are also are required to be tested every two years. Dedicated electric vehicles are the only vehicles exempt from emission testing. The purpose of the law is to keep vehicle emissions at an acceptable level and keep air pollution in check. We here at Quik Check Emissions strive to keep Albuquerque a beautiful and wonderful place to live.
Our emissions testing service consists of a thorough hassle-free 5-step process.
- On Board Diagnostics – Many motor vehicles made in 1996 or newer come equipped with On Board Diagnostics built into the vehicle’s computer. This is a requirement stated in the 1990 Federal Clean Air Act. Data about the emissions of the vehicle during daily operation can be downloaded and checked against the current standards to make sure the vehicle is operating efficiently. On board diagnostic systems were developed to help technicians diagnose a vehicle’s engine management system including emissions. This allows the technician to inform their customer of a potential problem exists regarding their vehicle’s emission control system.
- Tail Pipe Exhaust Test - An exhaust analysis probe is placed into the exhaust pipe of the vehicle to measure the levels of harmful pollutants coming out of the vehicle. This is done at idling speed and at high speed (simulated by revving the engine). This test measures carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions.
- Pollution Control Test - The purpose of the Pollution Control Test is to verify the equipment installation and connections. We check to make sure that all of the parts of the emissions control system in your vehicle are in proper working order and any connections are properly secure.
- Pollution Emissions Test - Your motor vehicle produces multiple emissions which can contribute to air pollution. In a sprawling city such as Albuquerque this contributes to smog. Quik Check Emissions tests to see that the emissions from your exhaust and other emissions such as gasoline evaporation are within acceptable levels.
- Gas Cap Pressure Test - The gas cap pressure test is used to determine if the gas cap is holding a tight seal. The gas cap needs to hold a tight seal to prevent harmful fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. A properly functioning gas cap not only limits fuel evaporation but improves gas mileage as well.